John Shepard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 36186
Property Name : Rock Chimney
Reservation Date : 05/04/2023 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 19; mostly 1.75-2.5# ; 2 @ 3.5# ; 1 @ 6#
Lures Used : Pop-R, chatterbait

My first cast at Rock Chimney yielded a 15” bass on a stationary Pop-R.  Seemed like “game on”.  Casts 2-40 disproved that dream.  I finally moved to another area and found bass that wanted what I was offering. Bass number five was a 6# (21.75”) fighter than didn’t give up even when in two inches of water near shore.  These fish were engulfing the Pop-R totally and the hookup rate was 100%. After that, the rate dropped to a more typical 1 in 3 as the bass started swiping at the lure and getting lightly hooked on the outside of the mouth.  When the topwater bite ended, I launched the club boat and headed to the creeks.  Nothing.  The mouths of the creeks – nothing.  I finally found bass 12-15 feet from shore along the shoreline nearest the house.  This was the most productive area of the morning with other areas (old dock, NE corner of dam, drain, point near club boat) yielding only one bass each.  A chatterbait with a craw trailer was the only lure that worked for me despite efforts to entice them with soft plastics, crankbaits, etc.  I ended the morning landing 19 bass with 1.75-2.5# as a typical size with a couple at 3.5# and the one at 6# thrown in.  Some looked “post-spawn skinny” but some others were chunkier.

The lake is full and slowly dripping out of the drain.  It is good to see it full after several years of drought.  The shoreline vegetation is growing nicely and the typical summer surface “snot” is just starting.

Be careful of critters when you turn over this (or any other) boat.  I found a family of scorpions.

Another fun PWF morning.

Jun 22 2023

Joe Romo

Fry

Number of Posts :

Going to hit this lake this weekend. Thanks for the info. Hope I have your luck. Can't wait for some top water action.